Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Reinventing the wheel (aka "Decoding Netscape Mail passwords")

From: John () LIST ORG (John Viega)
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 1999 10:00:33 -0800

Hopefully my last email answered your questions, but I will summarize
the relevant points if not:

1) The post you mentioned, their crack doesn't work on recent versions
of Windows Netscape, which is what we broke.  These versions use a
much more complex algorithm, which is still very lame.

2) We were unaware of the previous work, and Netscape didn't say "hey,
someone did this before" when we notified them.  In fact, they
definitely reacted as if they knew the problem was there, but hoped no
one would ever bother to exploit it.

John