Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: IE and cached passwords

From: paulle () EXCHANGE MICROSOFT COM (Exchange)
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 19:04:53 -0700

The server gets to say, in the WWW-Authenticate challenge header field, for
which "realm" it wants credentials (name+password). If both www.company.com
and www.company.com:81 send the same realm, then the same password will
continue to work.

This behavior is as spec'd for HTTP Authentication, RFC 2617.

So, it is not a security flaw.