Bugtraq mailing list archives

Lotus Notes Locations & DST

From: anto.veldre () TALINVEST EE (Anto Veldre)
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 1999 09:54:41 +0300

T h o m a s   Z e h e t b a u e r   ( TZ251 )
wrote:

Lotus Notes may under some circumstances silently change the System time.
This happend here with "Location"="Office (Network)", "Local time
zone"="Central European Time", and "Daylight savings >time"="Not observed
here".
Because this could cause severe problems with any software that uses time
stamping any application not specifically >designed for time maintainance
should prompt the user before tampering with the system time.

I am currently using the following Notes client program on my laptop:
Lotus 4.6a [Intl] 21 November 1997.

Some notes considering the summer time switching.
"Observe Daylight savings" is checked in my Notes client,
"Automatically adjust clock" is checked in "Control Panel->Date&Time"
Operating system is Win95 OSR2.

It happened last month that an important meeting was
appointed ( 23 of March 1999 10:00 , local time). After switching
to summer time (02:00 changed to 03:00 local time early morning
at 23rd of March, automatically, by OS), the meeting moved +1 hour
and appeared at 11:00.

I checked this with another party of the meeting, he saw the same
results on his PC. Luckily we both remebered the actual time....

I use Notes calendar function too rarely to make some/other final
conclusion.

Anto Veldre,
anto.veldre () talinvest ee