Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Long-standing bug in AustNet IRC network Virtual World

From: smkelly () ZOMBIE ORG (Sean Kelly)
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 1999 17:26:05 -0500

--XsQoSWH+UP9D9v3l

On Wed, Apr 07, 1999 at 12:13:09AM +0200, Henrik Edlund wrote:
The exact same exploit can be used against the cloaking system in use at
SlashNET (irc.slashnet.org).
=20
        This problem has been known for a while and there are fixes for it.
Although we have not gone through our database yet and done it for the user=
s,
we have told all of the users that by issuing the command:
         /MSG NickServ SET HIDE USERMASK ON
This fixes the bug where users can /MSG NickServ INFO <nickname> and get
"Last Seen hostmask:", and it also fixes the hsotname being shown in LIST
output.
        This problem was brought to our attention a few weeks ago, and
I believe it was you who did.  We made the solution clear to the users then
and will continue to do so.

--
Henrik Edlund
http://www.edlund.org/

--=20
Sean Kelly <smkelly () zombie org> or <smkelly () concentric net>
   PGP KeyID: 1024/77042C7B   ICQ UIN: 27955995         AIM: CmdrLinux
                              IRC: drdink@SlashNET

Send e-mail to smkelly () zombie org with subject "send pgp key" for public ke=
y.

--XsQoSWH+UP9D9v3l

--XsQoSWH+UP9D9v3l--