Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Discus advisory.

From: hhp () NS SUSPEND NET (Elaich Of Hhp)
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1999 19:50:34 -0400

On Wed, 28 Apr 1999, Ian R. Justman wrote:
Showed this to my boss because one of our customers (one whose account we
are currently reviewing) runs this script.

If this is running under Linux, FreeBSD or any system with a decent shadow
password system or something similar AND a sanely-configured web server,
e.g. with CGIwrap, any internal wrappering which runs scripts as the owner
of the script like any later version of Apache with the integrated setuid
wrapper, or at the very least just outright running scripts as an
arbitrary unprivileged user, there is no problem.  You can't read
/etc/shadow|/etc/master.passwd|/etc/whatever if you're not a privileged
user.  ;)

--Ian.

Well I never said that /etc/shadow, /etc/passwd etc. etc. were readable.
and the stuff you stated above is not the problem here.  The software
creates the directory with 666 perms. In that directory there is a
users.txt and a admin.txt which both contain crypt(3) passwds.

Here is one of the simple replies I have recieved.