Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: FlowPoint ADSL Reported Problem

From: pmr () flowpoint com (Philip Rakity)
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 1999 23:40:00 -0700

David,

Let me start by saying that I only saw the note at the end of my e-mail.

Snip--
It contained the statement > > > > > > Welp, aDSL is here.  And at least
one manufacturer, flowpoint, sets no > > > admin password.  It's in the
documentation, so I assume the
End Snip--

There is a universal default password.  On this point we agree.  However,
there is a password; and my response was related to the statement "sets no
admin password".  Telnet and Console write access in the version of code
that you have requires that the password be entered.  In release 3.0.2
onwards, Telnet and Console Read and Write access require the password be
entered.  If the password is well known and NOT changed by the user there
is a security problem and on this point we agree.

In addition, we document, in our Quick Start book, that the user should
change the password as it is a security violation.

I also agree that we can do better and will look at your suggestions.

kind regards,

Philip Rakity

Vice President Product Development
FlowPoint Corporation