Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: 1+2=3, +++ATH0=Old school DoS

From: kill9 () SUCCEED NET (kill9)
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 1998 00:02:32 -0700

On Sun, 27 Sep 1998, Brett Glass wrote:

Today, it's rare to find a modem that responds to the attack unless there
happens to be a long pause in the data stream after the "+++".
Therefore, this DoS attack isn't a big deal. It's easily preventable,
rarely effective, and relatively harmless (all you have to do, if it hits,
is redial).

--Brett Glass

I have tested this out here locally, as well as with the help from a few
other people onlin and it seems that 6 of 9 modems have been affected. I
would hardly call that 'rarely effective', relatively harmless yes, but
it seems to be a large percentage.  I am interested to see more results
as too how wide spread this is.

(all tests were done using ping -p 2b2b2b415448300d host )

kill9