Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Netscape Communicator 4.5 can read local files

From: bmc () VISI NET (Ben Collins)
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 1998 12:48:32 -0500

--FL5UXtIhxfXey3p5

I would just like to say that I find it hard to believe so much fuss has
been made about this. It is clear that this is only a local 'trick' to
look like it has gotten info. There used to be earlier versions of this
where ppl would make a link to file:///C|/ and say they had your hardrive
contents on their webpage, and now that java/javascript is involved
everyone is freaking out over the same thing just done a litte more
elaborately.

If some one here can setup a webpage, send me the URL, have that page read
the file '/test.txt' from my hardrive and then that person send the
contents to this list, I will believe. Otherwise I think this whole
hysteria over 'unforseen' dangers should stop.

--=20
Ben Collins <b.m.collins () larc nasa gov>                  Debian GNU/Linux
UnixGroup Admin - Jordan Systems Inc.                 bcollins () debian org

--FL5UXtIhxfXey3p5

--FL5UXtIhxfXey3p5--