Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Long attachment filename exploits: a procmail filter

From: jhardin () WOLFENET COM (John D. Hardin)
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 1998 20:05:45 -0700

On Wed, 29 Jul 1998, Brett Glass wrote:

This recipe is a great start! However, there are a few potential improvements.

Fire away!

First, it doesn't recognize tabs as whitespace or handle optional
whitespace in a few places where MIME would allow it.

I fixed that - thanks for pointing it out. Please grab the
html-trap.procmail snippet again and take a look.

Second, it invokes Perl on any message with a MIME attachment, which
could slow the mail server greatly. It would be preferable to detect the
exploit in procmail and only invoke Perl to "cleanse" the message if
that were necessary.

Not so. It uses procmail REs to detect long filenames and executable
filenames, and only calls perl to sanitiza them if they are found.

Alternatively, it could redirect the mail to the postmaster so he or she
would know that users were under attack.

Hmm. That would be simple a matter of adding

    :0c
    ! postmaster

to the block that calls perl - before (unsanitized) or after (sanitized)
perl cleans the message would be a judgement call.

Alternatively you could send the entire message as an attachment - that
might be better. Could someone give me an action that will take the
message being processed and mail it as a MIME attachment to postmaster?
I'm not very familiar with formail.

Finally, there are other possible exploits, like a very long content
type, that might also lead to buffer oveflows in mail clients. These
should be checked too.

If you can give me an example, I'll be glad to add a trap for it. I'll
take a shot at it without a sample, but it might not be too good.

Can people suggest improvements to John's recipes that solve these
problems? Greg Sutter and Chris Lindsey have both come up with patterns
that do more of the matching within procmail, but they still need a
little refinement.

In any event, this is a great start. It's fantastic that someone who had
most of the needed recipe already written was on the list.... This is
what's great about the Net!

...and that I also lurk on bugtraq and ntbugtraq... :)

--
 John Hardin KA7OHZ                               jhardin () wolfenet com
 pgpk -a finger://gonzo.wolfenet.com/jhardin    PGP key ID: 0x41EA94F5