Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Buffer overflows. was Re: EMERGENCY: new remote root exploit

From: geoffk () DISCUS ANU EDU AU (Geoffrey KEATING)
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 1998 13:23:42 +1000

Date:         Fri, 17 Jul 1998 15:49:02 -0700
From: Craig Spannring <cts () INTERNETCDS COM>

The responses I've gotten can be grouped into the following broad
categories-

   1)  Life would be good if we eliminated C and we will.
   2)  Life would be good if we eliminated C, but we can't.
   3)  C is the only language fast enough.
   3)  Eliminating buffer overflows is nice, but won't solve most of
       the problems.
   3)  You can write safe code in C using strncpy, snprintf, et al.
   4)  Only morons write code with buffer overflows
   5)  Modula-2 and Ada suck and you do you.

You missed one:

     5) Modula-2 and Ada are just as insecure if you turn off array
        bounds checking.

The language is not the problem; it's the absence of array bounds
checking.  There are a number of C compilers that will check your
bounds for you, there's even a modified gcc that will do this.

--
Geoff Keating <Geoff.Keating () anu edu au>