Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: about the ip header id

From: vern () EE LBL GOV (Vern Paxson)
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 1998 21:39:30 PST

 - randomize the id in the same way of tcp seq number
   (but without repetitions, I have an idea for a fast
   algorithm that may perform this work)

A shuffling algorithm can do this using a single pass through an array.

 - use distinct counters for each dest ip.
   (I don't think it's such so good idea)

Yep, Solaris does that, maybe some others too.

 p.s. does somebody know why win* ip stack increase its id by 256?
      this solution can prevent the problem but may create others.

It's doing the increment little-endian instead of big-endian.

                Vern