Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Possible DoS attack to NT boxes running OpenNT 2.1

From: robb () SUNLINK NET (Robert Fesig)
Date: Sun, 16 Aug 1998 20:53:25 -0400

        Using the reskit utility KILL.EXE, it is possible to kill ANY process, even the System Process (PID 0), using
the -f switch. Try "kill -f PID", and you can kill anything, protected or not.

        I believe the reason CPU usage went to 100% would be because of a bug in MS Access, I've seen the same thing
happen when users only open one copy in certain configurations... Granted, the bug did cause what seemingly became a
DoS attack, but had you used a different program, it wouldn't have appeared as such.

Robert Fesig
robb () sunlink net