Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: WinNT syscalls insecurity

From: espel () LLAIC U-CLERMONT1 FR (Roger Espel Llima)
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 1997 05:37:14 +0200

On Sun, Oct 19, 1997 at 04:02:34AM -0300, Solar Designer wrote:
Here's some [already known] information to make sure everyone understands
the stuff I'll be talking about. More information can be found at sites
like www.ntinternals.com.

and if your message wasn't enough to convince us that NT is a joke of
an OS, here's a snippet from http://www.ntinternals.com./tips.htm :

| Never-ending Quantum?
|
| In NT, as with most time-sharing operating systems, threads run in turns
| called quantums. Normally, a thread executes until its quantum runs out.
| The next time it is scheduled it starts with a full quantum. However, in
| NT a thread also gets its quantum refreshed every time its thread or
| process priority is set. This means that a thread can reset its quantum
| by calling SetThreadPriority (without changing its priority) before its
| turn runs out. If it continues to do this it will effectively have an
| infinite quantum. Why does NT do this? Its not clear, but it appears to
| be a bug.

can we say easy DoS?

--
Roger Espel Llima
espel () llaic univ-bpclermont fr, espel () unix bigots org