Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: TCPwrappers race condition

From: nicolai-bugtraq () UUNET PIPEX COM (Nicolai E M Plum)
Date: Fri, 3 Oct 1997 10:06:12 -0000

Thamer Al-Herbish writes:
TCPwrappers do a getpeername() after bieng passed the socket descriptor from
inetd. On some OSs this can cause a problem, atleast on SCO. It seems that
if you connect real fast, and disconnect (just connect() then exit()). It
winds up logging "unknown" as the hostname. This is because by the time
tcpwrappers get to make that call the OS has already gotten a FIN and closed
off the connection. I verfied this with a sniffer.

This can also happen on Solaris and SunOS. We have had people connected on
dialup lines use a piece of software called ``Ponger32''. It claims to ping a
remote host to keep a line up, but actually makes a very short TCP connection
as described above (not very good design).

This causes a stream of notifications from TCPwrappers, but since TCPwrappers
should reject connections that cannot be authenticated, it does not weaken
security, but does cause a nuisance.

And indeed the only way to work out what is actually going on is to snoop the
network.

Nicolai