Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Coredumps and setuids .. interesting..

From: danny () PANDA HILINK COM AU (Daniel O'Callaghan)
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 1997 17:19:40 +1100

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 1997 21:45:56 -0800
From: David Greenman <dg () root com>
To: Jason Fesler <jfesler () calweb com>
Cc: security () freebsd org
Subject: Re: Coredumps and setuids .. interesting..

I found this to be rather interesting..  I didn't realize
that linux and solaris refused to core dump setuid programs.
This could be a rather good thing should it find it's way
into *bsd..

   Hmmm. Either my replies aren't getting through to bugtraq, or people are
just ignoring them. As of FreeBSD 2.1.6 and newer versions, we don't core
dump for setuid processes. It's been this way for nearly a year in -current,
but the change didn't get merged into the 2.1.x branch until after the
2.1.5 release...that was an oversight.

-DG

David Greenman