Bugtraq mailing list archives

SunOS 4.1.4 fingerd

From: andy () bigdog fred net (Andy Dills)
Date: Thu, 16 May 1996 15:29:50 -0400

Just messing around I picked up a couple "logic flaws" with sun 4.1.4
fingerd. This may happen on 4.1.X, but I haven't tested, and I am not
motivated enough to check :>

I know I have seen it written up someplace about the flaw when
finger 0 () XXX com is done. (It shows a finger output on every user, which
as we know, can be a very useful tool to those with bad intentions)

Thus, we just added a user 0 (zero). Problem fixed.

Anyway, I have found that fingering .@XXX.com also yeilds the same result.

I am willing to bet that many know of this, but I thought I would go
ahead and throw it out there for those who haven't heard about these...

Andy

 "Founding member of the Frednet.Support"   Phear the big BEAVIS!
"_THIS_ is my BOOM stick!!!!"  --   That Guy from Army of Darkness
 Work:andy () fred net---------->(BOFH)<--------Play:andy () beavis net
                          NO MORE GAMES!!