Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Publically writable directories

From: wfp5p () tigger itc virginia edu (Bill Pemberton)
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 1996 09:06:09 -0400

Thomas Koenig writes:

Is there a safe way of opening a temporary file in a publically writable
directory as a normal user, given a system with symbolic links?
I'm even willing to assume a sticky bit on the directory.

Main problem: How do I disallow a malicious

$ ln -s /tmp/some.file $MYHOME/.somedotfile

at the wrong times, without getting into race conditions?

You need to open it like so:

fp_handle = open(fname, O_RDWR|O_CREAT|O_EXCL,0600)

The open() call does not follow symlinks.

--
Bill Pemberton                           wfp5p () virginia edu
ITC/Unix Systems                         flash () virginia edu