Bugtraq mailing list archives

SunOS 5.5 mailtool - stupid .forward symlink tricks

From: nreadwin () london micrognosis com (Neil Readwin)
Date: Thu, 30 May 1996 20:07:04 +0100

I've given up trying to file a bug report with Sun on this - if anyone else
has the patience to do it then I'd be grateful.

The SunOS 5.5 mailtool seems to follow symlinks when enabling the vacation
feature, so if you

        ln -s /var/mail/luser ~/.forward

and then enable vacation it copies /var/mail/luser to ~/.forward and
appends "|/usr/bin/vacation me" to it (and moves the symlink to
~/.forward..BACKUP - I'm not sure if you can do any damage using that
and I no longer have a 5.5 machine handy to check it). Neil.
--
 "For some reason all the very worst install scripts are written in csh."
  Geoff. Lane. (in bofh.jobfh.misc)