Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: CERT, CIAC, etc. and unethical practices

From: Catherine.Allen () uniq com au (Catherine Allen)
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 1996 10:51:52 +1100

On top of this most people I know who've handed
things to the CERT(s) not only do not receive a reply, but
we do not see any visible action taken even after a month or more.

If you're going to say something this inflammatory, please do mention
*which* ERT/IRT you were dealing with.

Having worked at AUSCERT, I can say from experience that all mail is
answered.  Having worked through some bug reports of this sort, I can
also say that the vendors were leaned on very heavily to actually *do*
something about the bug and that fixes were made available asap.

still do not understand the CERTs' attitudes towards some full disclosure
groups and many individuals who are mainly interested in getting the holes
fixed and are perfectly willing/happy to cooperate with vendors and
CERT(s).

Because they're the poor bunnies who have to deal with all the sites that
get broken into due to published exploit scripts!

(there are generally a rash of sites that get cracked directly after the
publication of an exploit - then there are rashes of follow-on cracks
once the sniffer logs start filling :(

Personally, I consider publishing an exploit to be a sign that you are *not*
willing to work with a vendor (or an IRT).  In effect, an exploit script
reduces the amount of time available to fix a problem to zero, which
encourages quick'n'dirty patches (likely sources of yet more bugs ):

8lgm,
Dave Meltzer

Who've been acknowledged in previous AUSCERT advisories...

        Catherine.