Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: [8lgm]-Advisory-22.UNIX.syslog.2-Aug-1995

From: casper () Holland Sun COM (Casper Dik)
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 1995 01:33:33 +0200

On Sep 19,  4:33pm, Sten Gunterberg wrote:

There's no patch yet, but Sun is apparently working on one. The Bug-IDs
are 1219835 for Solaris 1.x (SunOS 4.x) and 1220257 for Solaris 2.x.
Try to give those to local Sun support and see what happens :-)

Solaris 2.x ??? - I thought this is a BSD problem? Are you telling
me that *all* my Solaris boxes are vulnerable too?

Also local Sun support told me that the patch for Bug 1219835 has been
integrated into SunOS 4.1.4 and there probably won't be a patch for
older versions! Here's the bug info they sent me:

That's an error in the bug report.  Since 4.1.4 was out long before
the scare, the bug does exist in 4.1.4.

The simple facts are:
        - all sendmails are vulnerable
        - it's a syslog() problem, not really a sendmail problem.

While syslog()'s output can be limited in length by carefully specifying
the format, some systems don't support more than 128 bytes of messages.

Syslog should do the limiting.

Sun is working on fixes for SunOS 4.1.x and Solaris 2.x.
The fix has already been integrated in the 2.5 source as it currently
stands, and a patch is underway.

There are several Sun bug ids involved.

                - bug for SunOS 4 (as listed above)
                - bug for Solaris libc (as listed above)
                - bug for Solaris 2.x /usr/4lib/libc.so.?.*

Casper