Bugtraq mailing list archives

load.root (loadmodule hole)

From: mouse () Collatz McRCIM McGill EDU (der Mouse)
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 1995 06:54:45 -0400

For anyone wondering what the loadmodule hole is, but not wanting to
grab the 8lgm exploit and try to grok it, the real secret is very
simple - and I can't understand why 8lgm didn't explain this in their
posting, rather than only in a comment in the exploit script.

The comment in question is:

# loadmodule has previously been fixed to clear IFS, apparently by
# putenv("IFS= ").  However, we can still exploit system() by
# having IFS defined twice in our environment.

                                        der Mouse

                            mouse () collatz mcrcim mcgill edu