Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: a point is being missed

From: strombrg () hydra acs uci edu (Dan Stromberg - OAC-DCS)
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 1995 10:18:51 -0800

In message <Pine.SUN.3.91.951108113052.18979K-100000@di2>you write:
On Mon, 6 Nov 1995, Casper Dik wrote:

Let me say first that I don't speak for SunSoft.  This doesn't
change the fact that it is nearly impossible to do static linking
on Solaris 2.x.  (And static dynamic linking is a slip of the keyboard).

Unfortunatly, it is attitudes like this that will prevent Solaris from
ever being able to statically link binaries.  This attitude seems to be
prevelant among all my contacts with Sun.

Casper knows you can link things statically on solaris - I learned
about it from him.

I can mail you stubs if you want them.  It's not a large chunk of
code.  You could construct one yourself from the manual page.

Environment variables and other environmentel tricks have always been
possible in Unix.  The LD* variables have made the need for
environmental control much more obvious.  su/login/sendmail didn't
do proper cleanup and passed almost any environment variable to
sub processes.  That was not a problem introduced by dynamic linking.
It was a problem that had existed for a long time but that had gone largely
unnoticed.  Even $TERM is dangerous in some circumstances.

Dynamic linking adds exposure to another aspect of your system.  Leave
the libraries open for attack through a program that has to run setuid
or setgid and they will be attacked.  Maybe not now, but they will be.

"chmod 666" would appear to be a good start.

First of all: all authentication programs are extensible through dynamic
linking, all localized programs are extensible through dynamic linking,
etc.  Dynamic linking is required.

"Extensible through dynamic linking"?  How so?  Please explain?  What
are we going to do, leave it dynamic so login user can add their own
options on the fly?  Sounds real secure to me!

As new naming services are added, old programs do not need to be
relinked to take advantage of them.

No, I'm sorry, Sun may be unwilling to go to the trouble to link login
static (and indeed, they probably are - they've demonstrated an
unwillingness to go to any sort of trouble for the sake of security
until prodded by wide publicity of a problem).  But claiming that
they're unable to just doesn't hold up.

You're being unfair.  Sun is pretty open about security.  We publish
security patches for problems not widely know.

Gee... then why hasn't Sun done something about sendmail so we can get
off the sendmail advisory of the month club??

They have, in solaris 2.5.  It's V8 now.

I add V8.7.1 into all my installs, via autoinstall, tho.  'no need to
follow the sendmail patches, and we get consistent sendmail across
platforms, that way...

In Solaris 2.6, what would you rather have: a statically linked login or
a totally dynamically configurable login?

Sun, or anyone else, can make login configurable with a statically
linked program.  Having something configurable is NOT does not mean
having to be dynamically linked!

Besides, what kind of configuration options do you need?  There are
parameters in /etc/default/login that pretty much covers everything
(with some exceptions I think would be worth looking into).  Do you need
a dynamic library to process that file?  I don't think so!

Do you need static linking for security?  I think that's the important
question.

It seems as tho dynamic linking would facilitate distribution of
patches, possibly minimizing patch interaction (if one thing is done
in one place, and not N places across the system).

Dan Stromberg - OAC/DCS                         strombrg () uci edu