Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Sol2.x Mouse EXPLOIT info - CORRECTION

From: jsz () ramon bgu ac il (jsz)
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 1995 22:15:27 +0200 (IST)

Whoopssss -- sent an empty message, sorry!

This will NOT work on Solaris 2.X boxes.  The spiraling out should in
fact be CLOCKWISE.  An anticlockwise movement will give a shell running
as user nobody, rather than as uid 0!

Top left is however important, so that we have 0,0 stored in cred->uid
and cred->gid.  Due to the nature of the mouse driver, an anticlockwise
movement would spiral the uid/gid pair to the largest uid available on
the system, which under normal conditions would be user nobody.

I tried it both boths and neither are successful, what am I doing wrong?!@?!

Probably you weren't mumbling "I love SMI" 3 times while trying Neil's method?
But seriously, as someone has already said, the bug is in one of the routines
of the driver in the kernel, which passes a pointer to u-cred structure
and the routine actually modifies the uid and gid (euid & egid as well) to
zero.

As for breakin code, I doubt if it's worth expecting it being posted here.

Why ifconfig never shows up PROMISC flag on 2.X, even if it *is* in PROMISC
mode ?

What's up with a "+" in /etc/hosts.equiv in Solaris 1.1.2 aka 4.1.4, or
Why DEC ships off Ultrix 4.X with a weirdo /.rhosts which contains --
"#       @(#).rhosts     8.1     Ultrix  9/18/92"  (taken out of 4.4 ult)

Why can't you make mountd on Ultrix 4.X reject mount requests from
non-privileged ports? turning on "nfsportmon" in the kernel doesn't
quite do the job properly. Things that make you go hmmm...

rgrds,