Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: /etc/mnttab and Solaris 2.4

From: lm () melb cpr itg telecom com au (Luke Mewburn)
Date: Mon, 9 Jan 1995 09:51:31 +1100 (EST)

I ask that because under Solaris 2.4, the /etc/mnttab is like this (666):
% ll /etc/mnttab
-rw-rw-rw-   1 root     root         409 Jan  6 13:25 /etc/mnttab

  Ours is mode 644. It has to be readable for things like df to
  work. Only root needs to be able to write to the file, when
  mounting file systems, changeing quota, and such.

yup, I noticed this too... I can't remember offhand how I stopped the
mnttab having 666 perms; probably a mod to one of the startup files...

  Note, that atleast on our system, quotaon sets the mode to 600
  and this break the df command (and quota -v for the user if
  memory serves)

I think I tracked this behaviour down to having root umask of 077.
I.e, quotaon sets perms of mnttab to (666 & ~umask).

--
Luke Mewburn, <lm () werj com au>

``Think of it as Evolution in Action''
    -- 'Oath of Fealty', Niven & Pournelle