Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Athena Wide Systems by MIT...

From: jweiss () MIT EDU (jweiss () MIT EDU)
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 1995 13:59:33 -0500

     where there are that datas??? Yes I know that there are located into

I had a little trouble understanding your e-mail message, but I will
answer what I think you are asking.  When I log into an Athena
Workstation a line is created for me in the passwd file.  The contents
of this line are obtained using Hesiod.  Hesiod is a general purpose
naming system.  It is layered on top of the Internet-standard Domain
Name System (DNS) using the Berkeley Internet Name Daemon (BIND).  I
can send you a little more information personally, if you are
interested.

Zephyr is a real-time messaging service, and is only started when a
user logs in, for convenience.

I believe you'll find that the principal.pag file you are referring to
is only on the kerberos server, not the client workstations.

BTW: Hesiod and Zephyr are registered trademarks of MIT.

        Jonathon Weiss
        jweiss () mit edu