Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Hijacking tool

From: newsham () aloha net (Timothy Newsham)
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 1995 22:10:57 -1000 (HST)

Alec-
    I think you may be confusing two techniques here - both of which
have just become more 'popular.'  I believe the hijacking technique
is to use TAP, a modloadable SunOS driver to read and possibly write
to an established pty.

probably is confusing the two, but its a viable attack.. hijack
a tcp session that is already underway.

The TCP sequence number is what RTM and SMB wrote about.  This is
different - you don't need root anywhere to to that.

You do need priveledged access to a machine to send out arbitrary
packets.  (Any mac or dos user is priveledged).

Quentin