Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Disabling SunOS kernel module loading (Was: Re: Anti Hijacking tools)

From: Jeff.Smith () dcs warwick ac uk (Jeff Smith)
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 1995 16:40:35 +0000 (GMT)

On the subject of disabling kernel module loading on SunOS 4.1.x:
several people asked me what the side effects of this might be. I
researched it; and the answer appears to be that what the user gives
up, so far as supported vendor software, is the ability to run
OpenWindows with the "-nosunview" option.

That is, if you disable loadmodule, or modload, or the loading of
modules, the kernel will not be able to load keyboard and mouse
drivers on the fly that the server usually relies on the sunview
code to supply.

I don't understand this, perhaps because I'm not an OpenWindows user.
Are you saying that a subset of OpenWindows requires dynamic
device driver support, but the whole of it doesn't?

The real question is: can you link these drivers in in a permanent fashion
when you build your 4.1.X kernel, and then disable all dynamic loading
and unloading, or does the act of loading/unloading these particular
drivers have an active side-effect that means you can't do this?

--
Jeff Smith, Computer Science, Warwick University, Coventry, CV4 7AL, England
jeff () dcs warwick ac uk       phone: +44 203 523485   fax: +44 203 525714