Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: /dev/kmem: Permission denied

From: dan () ees1s0 engr ccny cuny edu (Dan Schlitt)
Date: Wed, 1 Feb 1995 09:23:37 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 31 Jan 1995, Casper Dik wrote:

/dev/mem and /dev/kmem are normally group kmem, not group sys.  At
least on any system I've ever looked at, which I mercifully has not
included Solaris yet.

In Solaris 2.x they are owned by group sys.

The thing that I find missing in this discussion is a rationale for
the change in group ownership.  Having at one time run a script
supplied by Sun to change the ownership of lots of files because of
securtity problems in SunOS I am not confident that Sun has well
thought out reasons for changes such as the one being talked about
here.

/dan

--

Dan Schlitt                           School of Engineering Computer Systems
dan () ee-mail engr ccny cuny edu        City College of New York