Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Gopher attack? (not a sighting just a question)

From: mshaver () schoolnet carleton ca (Mike Shaver)
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 1995 17:03:41 -0500 (EST)

Dr. Frederick B. Cohen mumbled something vague about:

I was thinking about the sendmail attack working from the inside as
opposed to the outside and it occured to me that gopher sends email
(upon request) to transmit a file to the person using the gopher server.
Could this be used (by sending the mail to another user on the gopher
server) to launch the sendmail attack as an insider?  Probably not,
but I just thought I'd ask.

I believe that the client does the mailing, not the server.
If that's the case, then I don't think you'd get a significantly greater
risk.  Especially since the attack would only work if the identd on the
user's machine is hostile.  Or am I missing some subtle interaction between
the client and the mail system?

Mike