Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: FD/overwriting suid files

From: grs () claircom com (Gregg Siegfried)
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 95 16:45 PST

I always have thought that any good OS will reset any suid/sgid bits on a file
write.  Such is the case for the Solaris 2.4 machine I tested this on.  I think
any OS that doesn't do this has some deep design flaws.

I've been back and forth on this with Sun.  That the setuid and setgid
bits are reset on *any* write, I consider a bug.  I agree that the setuid
bit must be reset if the process that is doing the writing has a uid/euid
different from the owner of the file, and that the setgid must be reset
if the writing process is not a member of the group of the file.

Sun apparently agrees with your interpretation.

I take issue with your "deep design flaws" comment, however.  Although
obviously a major security flaw, I'm not sure I'd categorize such a defect
in such strong language.  In fact, while I do not have my Lions book to
verify it, I will hypothesize that the version you refer to in your signature
exhibited the behaviour you condemn.

I will give you that, in this decade, this type of defect may very well be
indicative of the "deep design flaws" you refer to.

Gregg Siegfried
grs () claircom com

Nathan Lawson   | "One of the advantages of using UNIX to teach an operating
CSL 490 Admin   |  systems course is the sources and documentation will easily
756-7180 @Work  |  fit into a students briefcase."  -- John Lions (1976)