Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Solaris 2.3-2.4 Audit Bug

From: dagostin () killerbee jsc nasa gov (John D'Agostino)
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 1995 09:31:44 -0600

At 05:45 PM 2/12/95, Christopher Klaus wrote:

I'm sorry if this has been discussed before.

There is a major security problem with auditing under solaris 2.3
and 2.4.  If you run bsmconv to turn on auditing, any user can
break root very very easily.  I'ld say more but I'ld like to give
sun at least a little bit of a chance to fix it first.

I have access to the source code for the os and have tracked down
the one line of bad code.  How can I contact Sun to tell them the
problem with this line of code?????????????

Send email to info () iss net with the following in the body of the message:

send vendor for faq

This will send you the FAQ for various vendors to get in touch with.

You can also email Sun at security-alert () sun com and I am sure Mark Graff
can help you.

Chris

--
Hey Chris,
Is this going to be in our class as well? Also, has John gotten you the info