Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: little whole on Suns concerning /dev/kbd

From: shipley () dis org (Pete Shipley)
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 1995 22:57:05 -0800

On a SUN with SunOS 4.1.* or Solaris 2.* any user loged on the console can
remap the abort key sequence (the key sequence to enter the boot monitor).
Impact: Any arbitary key sequence can enter the boot monitor and halt
the machine.

Is there a fix possible?

yes, use the file /etc/fbtab

to have at least the fillowing:

/dev/console    0622    /dev/audio
/dev/console    0600    /dev/audioctl
/dev/console    0600    /dev/kbd:/dev/mouse

plus enteries for you graphics framebuffer.

btw: back in my sysad day I used to map the KIOCABORT
to null this preventing the system from a keyboard reboot
(I has a problem of users rebooting there systems
and f*cking up the disks then calling me to fix it)

                -Pete