Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: SSL message broken

From: mcclung () nawc690 chinalake navy mil (Scott McClung)
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 1995 11:00:57 -0700

Hi,

There are only limited repercussions, the SSL that was broken was the 40
bit key exportable version that NetScape are forced to sell to non US
citizens. The domestic version uses 128 bit keys and so is virtually
impossible to break. The real problem is the US ITAR export laws, they
cripple US industry by forcing them to sell inferior products internationally
thus putting them at a large commercial disadvantage.

Normal SSL is fine, the exportable version has been crippled and thus you
are at risk of someone with access to significant computing power. If the
SSL connections were allowed to be conducted with full security then there
would not be a problem.

Netsite can be configured to not support the crippled RC4/RC2 methods,
which is the way we've chosen to run it for security reasons.  It means
that you have to get the non-exportable version of Netscape, but that's
not really a big deal.

If anyone is interested, Netscape's Commerce Server can be set to use
a combination of the following:

RC4 (128 bits)
RC4 (40 bits)
RC2 (128 bits)
RC2 (40 bits)
IDEA (128 bits)
DES (64 bits)
DES with EDE 3 (192 bits)

It's implied in the documentation that the client (browser) and server
negotiate an encryption method for a session.

As for which of the non-crippled ciphers are better, I have no idea.
Anyone reading this know what 'DES with EDE 3' is?

Later.
--
/* Scott McClung
 * Software Engineer/UNIX System Administrator, SAIC