Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: BUGTRAQ ALERT: Solaris 2.x vulnerability

From: adamp () mickey ovid com (Adam Prato)
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 1995 15:07:39 -0600

On Tue, 15 Aug 1995, Michael Dilger wrote:

B U G T R A Q   A L E R T                           bugtraq-alert-081495.01
[...]
Scott Chasin
chasin () crimelab com

Good job Scott.

I tried this attack on /usr/bin/ps and /usr/ucb/ps, and it works on
both of them.  This makes me think that more than just solaris 2.x
machines are vulnerable (depending on the /tmp sticky bit).

- --
Michael Dilger
Michael.Dilger () Sun COM
ENS, Network Security Group
Sun Microsystems, Inc.

I haven't been able to get this to work. It seems that /usr/bin/ps does not
create any files in /tmp. I had two windows open, one doing a while true ; do
ls /tmp ; sleep 1 ; done. And the other trying this exploit. A ps.* file is
never created (rather no files are created in /tmp). I accidentally left the
exploit running all night and it still didn't work. /usr/ucb/ps however does
create a ps_data file, but it doesnt seem to be changed by psrace.

Any ideas?

Also, does sun plan to release a patch, rather than making the /tmp sticky?

Adam