Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: udp packet storms

From: avalon () coombs anu edu au (Darren Reed)
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 1994 22:12:31 +1100 (EDT)

To my knowledge, the broadcast trick will not work -- the "broadcast"
will not go out on the ethernet or other broadcast address because the
broadcast socket option will not have been selected and the packet
will not be broadcast in reply. The echo loop between two hosts might,
of course...

Perry

Run the following program.  Try "[name] 255.255.255.255" and
"[name] X.X.X.255" (assuming 8 bit subnetting).  Notice both
will work properly although I did not do a setsockopt with
SO_BROADCAST.

                                Tim N.

I've a feeling this maybe an OS dependency, for some programs I've compiled
to send broadcast packets (such as RPC requests) returned an error on the
send/sendto if a setsockop for SO_BROADCAST wasn't done.  This was on
OS/x 5.1 (Pyramid) and I assume it wouldn't have handed you a broadcast
packet unless you asked.
On SunOS 4.1.x I don't need to use setsockopt.
Nor do I need to use it on Solaris 2.3.
Oh HP-UX A.09.03 E, I get "sendto: permission denied" without using
setsockopt to enable SO_BROADCAST.

What about other OS's ?

darren