Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: udp packet storms - ping death

From: perry () imsi com (Perry E. Metzger)
Date: Thu, 03 Nov 1994 07:56:55 -0500

"Michael Neuman" says:
Perry Metzger says:
Charles Howes says:
Our copy of ping is installed setuid root; ...

So you mean that any student at princeton can panic any Sun there just by
typing that command?  Cool...

There are already so many ways to panic suns from userland...

 Here's a complete waste of bandwidth and everyone's time... Name as many
ways to remotely panic a Sun that you know of, Perry, or don't fill the
ether with this worthless drivel.

Truncating /dev/audio (although this seems to have been fixed in
4.1.3, or at least 4.1.3_U1). Doing unexpected things the streams
networking drivers seems to do nicely, too. I used to have a big list
of things to panic suns, but I've misplaced it. I'll search about and
see what I can dig up and check what still panics my current machines.
Generally speaking, "unusual" operations on streams drivers seem to
make 4.1.X machines go gaga. I haven't tried playing with the mouse
driver; it looks like a nice place to check next.

I also haven't tried running the program that generates random code
and executes it lately. I believe it was called something like
"crashme" but I'm probably wrong. I recall that it used to do nicely
under older 4.1.X environments, though the latest 4.1.3s might not go
south any longer. I'll have to check...

Perry