Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Re: Breaking in from the monitor at the console

From: pwh () bradley bradley edu (Pete Hartman)
Date: Tue, 31 May 94 17:47:50 -0500

Instead, we used a simple program that read the password file,
and would not exit until the root password was typed correctly.

Supposedly, removing "secure" from the ttytab entry for the console
should prevent booting single user or other nonstandard without providing
the root password.

Whether that's breakable too, I can't say.

So there was a semi-fix for older systems, but I have heard that people
could still halt the system, change the kernel, and continue without
needing a password. I never knew how to do this.

changing it from firmware mode would be a nasty trick....

How could you do that from old-mode though?