Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: How was the majordomo bug found ?

From: karl () bagpuss demon co uk (Karl Strickland)
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 1994 17:48:14 +0100 (BST)

I think that a vast majority of 'holes' in Unix programs are based on the
_DANGEROUS_ use of the system() function instead of the _MUCH_MORE_SECURE_
fork()/exec() combination.

Just beacuse the majority of `holes' you know are based on system(), doesnt
mean you can make sweeping statements about the `vast majority of holes'.
For example, the vast majority of holes I know are nothing to do with system().

Your mail makes some good points, but please dont spoil it with flame bait.
Mailed using ELM on FreeBSD               |                    Karl Strickland
PGP 2.3a Public Key Available.            | Internet: karl () bagpuss demon co uk