Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: vixiecron.

From: irvdwijk () cs vu nl (irvdwijk () cs vu nl)
Date: Fri, 5 Aug 1994 16:17:18 +0200 (MET DST)

Cor wrote

One of the bugs I found and reported to Vixie about a year ago regarding
his vixiecron, was that you could do the following:

MAILTO="whatever; /bin/cp /bin/sh /tmp; chmod 4777 /tmp/sh"

He fixed this, and with it introduced a new bug we also reported.
I can't really remember the details, but it had something to do with
a temporary file he was using, that you could predict, and thus link
to /etc/master.passwd or something.

I heard that there were three mayor security holes in previous versions of
VixieCron. Two of them I know, the one you cor described (with MAILTO)
and the one using the '-r' switch:

        crontab -r /etc/master.passwd
        crontab -l

Anyone knows the third? Is it, like Cor said, with a tempfile?
Cor

        Ivo

PS: To fix these bugs (or at least, to disable them):
    You can disable the MAILTO bug by denying access
    (/var/spool/cron/{allow,deny} I think).
    To disable the bug in crontab (-r), you will probably have to
    remove the setuid bit. As far as I know, upgrading to the latest
    version (3.*) should also be safe (though I never checked this version
    for bugs)

--
Name:     Ivo van der Wijk  | It won't give up it wants me dead
Internet: irvdwijk () cs vu nl | this goddamn noise inside my head