Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: NFS exporting

From: ccdes () ccdes princeton nj us (Carl Corey)
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 1994 00:46:02 -0500

As for NFS in general, its useless. As soon as you export an NFS
partition to the net (at least if you export it writable), you can
kiss your machine goodbye.
[...]
Perry

Now, are we talking exporting writeable to everyone, or _any_ NFS exported
writeable partition?

Let's say that I have two machines, server.foo.com and client.foo.com

server has one NFS exported volume which is for client.foo.com (diskless).

showmount looks something like this:

 % showmount -e server.foo.com
 export list for server.foo.com:
 /export                            client.foo.com

is this exploitable?  How would it be exploited?  Is there a way to keep
people from exploiting it (besides not exporting it)?

cc