Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: wu-ftpd info.

From: spaf () cs purdue edu (Gene Spafford)
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 94 13:28:44 -0500

Principal problem is that the chrooted environemnt is only for
anonymous ftp.  If I ftp in to a user account, it lets me do that and
it does *not* chroot the directory.  The hazards should be obvious.

Add to that the fact that even in a chrooted directory under anonymous
ftp, getting on as a privileged user can be dangerous -- the files are
accessible from the regular file systems (e.g., user accounts).

For instance:
attacker uses ftp to create suid-root shell in ftp directory
attacker logs in as user foo (bin, uucp, etc) and executes suid shell
  from ftp directory
attacker romps

--spaf