Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: nmap Discover others question

From: Ansgar Wiechers <bugtraq () planetcobalt net>
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2013 11:42:54 +0200

On 2013-09-22 ToddAndMargo wrote:
  Using NMap from the command line, I would like to discover what all
is attached to the Ethernet.  This run string seems to fulfill the
request:

       nmap -O -v 192.168.255.0/24

Question: what about devices that do not use this network?

They won't be discovered.

Is this not a issue, as they couldn't communicate anyway?

They can't communicate via TCP/IP in the network 192.168.255.0/24. They
may be able to communicate just fine on different networks or using
different protocols.

If they are connected though a "route" command, would they not show up
anyway?

That question doesn't make any sense. The "route" command sets or
displays routes, i.e. next-hop destinations for packets. It doesn't
"connect" anything.

This will probably sound blunt, but you definitely need to work on your
network basics, particularly TCP/IP and Ethernet. This mailing list is
not the right place for filling the gaps you obviously have.

Regards
Ansgar Wiechers
--
"All vulnerabilities deserve a public fear period prior to patches
becoming available."

Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate
In this guide we examine the importance of Apache-SSL and who needs an SSL certificate.  We look at how SSL works, how
it benefits your company and how your customers can tell if a site is secure. You will find out how to test, purchase,
install and use a thawte Digital Certificate on your Apache web server. Throughout, best practices for set-up are
highlighted to help you ensure efficient ongoing management of your encryption keys and digital certificates.

http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;4175;25;1371;0;5;946;e13b6be442f727d1