Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: nmap root vs user question

From: ToddAndMargo <ToddAndMargo () zoho com>
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2013 15:58:36 -0700

On 10/07/2013 06:47 AM, Mikhail A. Utin wrote:
> HI,
> I never run Nmap as user. The software uses OS resources, which require root privilege. BTW, if you run GUI Nmap Like NmapFE, and as a user, it will tell you that "You are *NOT* root - Some options are not available".
>
> Regards
>
> Mikhail Utin, CISSP

Hi Mikhail,

   Thank you!

   Seems NMapFE is also known as xnmap and zenmap.
I need to play with it more as it will make logs.  I
figure that my logs should go into my records as part
of the documentation of any tests.

-T

$ repoquery --list nmap-frontend
/usr/bin/nmapfe
/usr/bin/xnmap
/usr/bin/zenmap

$ ls -al /usr/bin/nmapfe /usr/bin/xnmap /usr/bin/zenmap
lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root    6 Sep 11 17:10 /usr/bin/nmapfe -> zenmap
lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root    6 Sep 11 17:10 /usr/bin/xnmap -> zenmap
-rwxr-xr-x. 1 root root 9018 Mar 20  2013 /usr/bin/zenmap

Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate
In this guide we examine the importance of Apache-SSL and who needs an SSL certificate.  We look at how SSL works, how
it benefits your company and how your customers can tell if a site is secure. You will find out how to test, purchase,
install and use a thawte Digital Certificate on your Apache web server. Throughout, best practices for set-up are
highlighted to help you ensure efficient ongoing management of your encryption keys and digital certificates.

http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;4175;25;1371;0;5;946;e13b6be442f727d1