Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: msf > use auxiliary/scanner/vnc/vnc_login

From: ToddAndMargo <ToddAndMargo () zoho com>
Date: Mon, 04 Nov 2013 17:03:13 -0800

On 11/04/2013 06:31 AM, Eric Schultz wrote:
ToddAndMargo,

I'd recommend checking out Kali Linux instead of using Scientific
Linux. Kali is designed for doing security work, and is installed with
needed tools already configured. I think this would aid you in the
future, as it's one less thing to troubleshoot.

I have Kali inside a virtual machine, just to check things out
and compare.

Since you are learning the basics, I'd also recommend shutting off
antivirus programs while testing to prevent unexcpected and difficult
to pinpoint errors. Once you get a good understanding of how things
are supposed to work, turn the AV back on and see ways to bypass them.

-Eric

Hi Eric,

   Thank you for the tips.

Hind sight.

But, on the other hand, even though it was really
frustrating to figure out, I did figure it out.  And, I got
to see first hand the manure Kaspersky was feeding me.
They did a good job.  Especially telling me at one point
that every (256) computer was active on the network.  Nice
way of obscuring things.  Most of the time it just told
me some weird junk and turned off outside services, like
the VNC Server.  Drove me nuts.

-T

--
Computers are like air conditioners.

Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate
In this guide we examine the importance of Apache-SSL and who needs an SSL certificate.  We look at how SSL works, how
it benefits your company and how your customers can tell if a site is secure. You will find out how to test, purchase,
install and use a thawte Digital Certificate on your Apache web server. Throughout, best practices for set-up are
highlighted to help you ensure efficient ongoing management of your encryption keys and digital certificates.

http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;4175;25;1371;0;5;946;e13b6be442f727d1