Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Linux Web Server Hardening (LAMP + Wiki)

From: Arie Claassens <arie_claassens () hotmail com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2013 10:46:14 +0200

Hi Jeff,

Have a look at the following sites:

https://benchmarks.cisecurity.org/downloads/multiform/index.cfm
http://www.nsa.gov/ia/mitigation_guidance/security_configuration_guides/oper
ating_systems.shtml
https://www.atomicorp.com/

The Wiki itself needs to be addressed like any other web app, i.e. CAPTCHA
protection on forms, input sanitation, XSRF protection, etc., but if you
harden the OS and specifically Apache, it goes a long way towards reducing
your attack surface. Look at simple things like disabling all Apache modules
that you do not need, installing mod_evasive and mod_security to help reduce
DOS attacks and filter malicious input on your web app. See
https://www.owasp.org/index.php/Category:OWASP_Top_Ten_Project for more
info.

 Years back, http://www.securecentos.com/ had some really nice tips on
hardening your OS on multiple levels and also simplifying the whole process
of hardening and maintaining your server.

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Security should help with the hardening
of the actual Wiki.

YMMV.