Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Running AV via SSH? (Was: Re: Bad Antivirus)

From: Michael Peppard <mpeppard () impole com>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2013 15:08:23 -0500

Oh, I only use it when it makes it through the firewall anti-virus and kills the local anti-virus. It's not my first line of defence, or last line for that matter.

I do have DVDs, lots of disks to clone/restore, backup user data, check for viruses, scrub drives, check disk, motherboard, cpu and memory, reinstall operating systems, but only a few anti-virus programs that have subscriptions. If the anti-virus doesn't work locally, remote access has so far worked every time. I expect that to change one day, but for now it's pretty convenient and the network doesn't even notice. I scan all the network drives nightly and use roaming profiles that are scanned too. If you are familiar with roaming profiles, if they don't kill the network, running an antivirus remotely a few times a year isn't going to.

You don't have to do it if you don't want to. It works for me and I do verify the virus is dead.

-Mike