Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Fwd: Rainbow Tables

From: Jeffrey Walton <noloader () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2013 15:49:51 -0400

On Tue, Aug 6, 2013 at 1:04 PM, Michael Peppard <mpeppard () impole com> wrote:
"Finally, given salt predominantly in use in modern password hash
schemes, pen testing in realistic modern conditions, are rainbow
tables still of value?"

The sole purpose of salt is to make rainbow tables extinct. It has no
other value ...
Salts also ensure that two users with the same password have different
digested password entries in the database.

It was recently proven that salt is a good thing. "Multi-Instance
Security and its Application to Password-Based Cryptography,"
http://eprint.iacr.org/2012/196.pdf.

Jeff

Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate
In this guide we examine the importance of Apache-SSL and who needs an SSL certificate.  We look at how SSL works, how
it benefits your company and how your customers can tell if a site is secure. You will find out how to test, purchase,
install and use a thawte Digital Certificate on your Apache web server. Throughout, best practices for set-up are
highlighted to help you ensure efficient ongoing management of your encryption keys and digital certificates.

http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;4175;25;1371;0;5;946;e13b6be442f727d1