Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Possible Malware?

From: Kurt Buff <kurt.buff () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2012 10:15:32 -0700

On Fri, Oct 5, 2012 at 9:24 AM, Joseph Hargis <jhargis01 () googlemail com> wrote:
Hello List,

I have a Windows 7 PC connected to a domain exhibiting the following
behavior:

1. The user logged off the machine to go to lunch. When she returned she
was unable to logon and the machine displayed an error stating that the
machine had lost the trust relationship with the domain.

2. The local administrator account has been removed from the local
administrators group.

3. When the network cable was unplugged, the keyboard and mouse quit
functioning.

Admittedly, I'm new to malware hunting. But to me, this behavior is
suspicious. Does this ring any bells with anyone?

Thank you,

Joe Hargis

This specific behavior? No, but I'd wager real money the machine is compromised.

Time to pull the hard drive from the machine, get any data from it
worth saving, then format and reinstall.

If you're interested in malware hunting, pull the disk from the drive
and use any of a number of tools to scan the drive to see if you can
find the agent(s).

Kurt

Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate
In this guide we examine the importance of Apache-SSL and who needs an SSL certificate.  We look at how SSL works, how
it benefits your company and how your customers can tell if a site is secure. You will find out how to test, purchase,
install and use a thawte Digital Certificate on your Apache web server. Throughout, best practices for set-up are
highlighted to help you ensure efficient ongoing management of your encryption keys and digital certificates.

http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;4175;25;1371;0;5;946;e13b6be442f727d1