Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Security design methodology

From: "Dave, Manish, R. - ESIL \(MUM\)" <Manish.Dave () essar com>
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2012 06:59:55 +0000

I feel it's not more than a marketing gimmick to sell UTM device. I fully agree with Terence that vendor
recommendations are biased. I would recommend adherence to a framework custom designed for your organization's business
type. Take feeds from 'Cobit 5 for Information Security' and SANS Top 20 controls. Map your existing controls with
layered DID 'Defense In Depth' approach. This will help in building your strategy & prioritizing control deployment.
All popular solutions come with external connectors so integrating might not be that big a challenge. You can also get
connectors developed to have a central dashboard.

My comments are based on my understanding of your problem. If you were expecting something else, let me know.

Regards,

Manish Dave|Chief Information Security Officer|Essar Services India Limited|
Essar House , 11 , K .K.Marg,Mahalaxmi,Mumbai|400034|Maharashtra|India|
T +91 9930134942|+91 22 66601100 VoIP: 7 21 1357|Blackberry PIN 28018A44|
E Manish.Dave () essar com|www.essar.com|